Green Cards

Petitions for Family Members

You can get a green card through a family member if he or she is a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident. Many people do not apply for a green card because they believe that they are not qualified for one in their respective family category. An immigration lawyer can help you understand whether you can qualify for a green card through a family member and guide you through the application process. If you need guidance on how to bring a family member to live in the U.S., the best thing to do is to consult an experienced San Jose family immigration lawyer. If you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, my office can help you with the following:

  • Bringing qualifying family members from another country
  • Getting a green card for your spouse
  • Adjustment of status for your relative
  • Consular processing
  • Petitions to remove conditions on your spouse’s residence

Fiancé Visa

If you are a U.S. citizen who plans to marry someone from a different country, you can bring your fiancé to the U.S. on a fiancé visa. Only U.S. citizens can bring a fiancé to to the U.S. Permanent residents cannot bring a fiancé to the U.S. to get married. In order to get a fiancé visa, you must fulfill various requirements. You must show evidence that your relationship with your fiancé is a good-faith relationship, that you plan to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival in the U.S., and that you and your fiancé met in person within 2 years of filing the fiancé visa petition. Another issue that comes up is compliance with IMBRA (International Marriage Broker Regulation Act). If you met your foreign fiancé through the services of an “international marriage broker,” consult a fiancé visa lawyer. My office has successfully obtained fiancé visas. I encourage you to contact my office to learn about the application process and the various requirements for a successful fiancé visa application.